Monday, December 28, 2009

Teaching the YouTube musician

A recent phenomenon that we should be cognizant of is YouTube.com. This free video service is quickly revolutionizing music teaching. It is already created an enormously motivated pool of potential new students. A new class of students, which has been flying under the radar for years and a group poorly served by the professional teaching profession I say.

Here’s a typical profile from my studio:

  • 10 to 12 years old, oldest is 23
  • Male
  • An enthusiastic user of the computer, computer games, and the internet
  • Loves music, and pop culture
  • Has an impatient character
  • Possesses high energy
  • Self-motivated
  • Have definite musical tastes
  • The predominant learning style is visual and auditory. In other words, they don’t like to read music.
  • They are unresponsive to traditional teaching methods, aims, and processes.
  • They fit the classic definition of amateur: for the love of music.
The big question, of course is” how do we serve this group”, or maybe the question is,” Do we want to serve this group?”

 There are few strategies I’ve successfully used:

  • I review the instructional video on YouTube with the student. I help correct their technical approach to the piece, typically we redo the fingering.
  • I take their musical interests seriously.
  • I help them explore other music related to their interests.
  • To help their reading, I often write out a phrase of the piece for them to learn.
  • I teach them how to assemble the music on the computer using sequencing software.
  • I encourage them to think about joining a band or jamming with their friends.
Here are a few outcomes

  •  Because they play primarily by ear, love to practice and are highly motivated they typically play with the best groove and feel of all my students.
  • Because I take their musical interests seriously, none of them have quit.
  • I learned some exciting new music from enthusiastic self-motivated students.
Cheers,

David Story

No comments: